Seattle Musicians Access to Sustainable Healthcare is a
501(c)(3) Washington Charitable Organization
For decades, Seattle has been a music pulse-point on the U.S. map. Our city strongly values the arts as part of what’s uniquely Seattle in culture and identity. At the same time, many of those who create music find it hard to get adequate healthcare services.
The Affordable Care Act has opened doors, providing basic health care to thousands of Seattleites. Yet there are still gaps in service for our underserved musician population. Navigating the insurance sign-up process can be daunting, especially for out-of-the-box, creative individuals. Finding a good fit for health care is frequently a roadblock to musicians getting what’s needed, whether it’s finding a primary care provider, treatment for an ongoing condition, addiction, hearing, or dental needs. Many people prefer, and would also appreciate access to integrative healthcare resources, including naturopathic medicine, acupuncture and nutrition counseling.
Comprehensive healthcare – with an emphasis on prevention and wellness – is good for our musicians, our community and our local healthcare systems. That’s where SMASH comes in.
SMASH’s goals are to provide a healthcare safety net for our working musicians by:
• Offer preventive care visits with traditional and naturopathic healthcare providers
• Connect musicians with primary and specialty healthcare services
• Provide hearing screening and custom molded earplugs to help prevent hearing loss
• Build community to advocate for healthcare on behalf of Seattle musicians
• Familiarize musicians with Washington State’s health insurance options and benefits
Right now SMASH is in Phase 1, the building stage. We are actively:
- assessing the musicians’ gap in unmet healthcare needs,
- allying with local healthcare organizations, and
- accepting seed financing for organizational planning and support.